Housing assistance subsidies for families living in the West Hartford area.
The West Hartford Housing Authority operates several housing facilities and outreach programs for the residents of West Hartford. The West Hartford Housing Authority’s programs are administered in accordance with regulations of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the State of Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development, and Connecticut Housing Finance Authority. The West Hartford Housing Authority’s Public Housing and Section 8 Programs are designated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as “high performer.”
Section 8 Rental Assistance Programs
Housing Choice Voucher Programs
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program currently assists over 500 households. Through this program, the WHHA disburses over $3 million annually to private landlords on behalf of Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher participants.
The Housing Choice Voucher program is administered using the following guidelines:
- Not less than 75% of new admissions must be extremely low-income families with incomes at or below 30% of median income
- During initial lease up or when moving with current assistance to a new unit, a family may not pay more than 40% of adjusted income towards the total rent and utilities
- Participants select their own apartment with a private landlord
- Each apartment must meet housing quality standards and rent reasonableness
- The WHHA pays the landlord a housing assistance payment each month that is a calculation of the difference between the resident’s share and the approved payment standard
- Participants must have been a West Hartford resident for at least one year prior to utilizing portability
Department of Housing (DOH) Programs
The West Hartford Housing Authority is one of nine subcontractors (delegate agents) throughout the state of Connecticut who help manage the Department of Housing Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher and Rental Assistance Programs. All briefings and issuance of vouchers are conducted by J. D’Amelia & Associates, the contractor for the Department of Housing.
The WHHA administers all the necessary services related to lease up, re-certification and interim activities. Caseworkers follow the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan and the CT RAP Administrative Plan outlined by the Department of Housing. The West Hartford Housing Authority is currently managing over 1,200 Housing Choice Vouchers and Rental Assistance Program Certificates. There are currently 4 caseworkers and a Section 8 Manager who work with these programs.
These vouchers are transferable to other DOH subcontractor agencies within the State of Connecticut.